Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Deer Hunting » 2013 Rut Dates?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2013 Rut Dates?
Paoli Predator
Junior Hunter
Member # 55750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paoli Predator   Email Paoli Predator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering when the rut's "chasing, seeking and tending" days are for the southern Indiana area might be this season.
I used to subscribe to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine and it was always pretty close on their predictions.

Posts: 2 | From: orange co. | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recon33alpha
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for recon33alpha   Email recon33alpha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D&DH predicts a later rut this year. I just read the article yesterday. 3rd week of November will be the peak!
Posts: 1665 | From: Mooresville, Indiana, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbwhttail
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbwhttail   Email jbwhttail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta say........ chase and breeding does not change. It is determined by the amount of daylight(which NEVER changes) taken in by the retina. The Pineal gland is the sole determining factor.

Hunt pre rut every year from Halloween until Nov 10, then breeding for a week...... post rut chasing will be from November 15 until Thanksgiving.........

Follow the moon......... and you'll see a bunch of dry days.

I've got eight(8) bucks over 140 inches that proves my theory. Breeding dates can not change unless prime food sources change year to year..... that does not happen.

Good luck, if you want a big mature buck...... bowhunt November 4-8th. Hunt all day! Boone and Crockett records will support my findings. Prime pre rut(breeding) are from Halloween until November 10th for most of the northern continent.

Florida, Texas and the Mississippi Delta herd are the exception

--------------------
When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....

Posts: 7364 | From: Indpls,In US | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derslayer1
Administrator
Member # 881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Derslayer1   Email Derslayer1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same time every year...JB is correct. All about the daylight

--------------------
EAT,SLEEP,FISH,
EAT,SLEEP,HUNT

Posts: 3265 | From: north judson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
76chevy
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 24895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 76chevy   Email 76chevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the above. The other major variable which effects daylight movement is weather.

With unseasonably warm or windy weather, the seeking/chasing activity may still be going strong, just not during daylight.

A good read about the complexity of the whitetail rut here:

http://charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/art_rut.html

--------------------
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 1508 | From: 2 weeks from everywhere | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goosepond_Monster
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 33441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goosepond_Monster   Author's Homepage   Email Goosepond_Monster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbwhttail:
Gotta say........ chase and breeding does not change. It is determined by the amount of daylight(which NEVER changes) taken in by the retina. The Pineal gland is the sole determining factor.

Hunt pre rut every year from Halloween until Nov 10, then breeding for a week...... post rut chasing will be from November 15 until Thanksgiving.........

Follow the moon......... and you'll see a bunch of dry days.

I've got eight(8) bucks over 140 inches that proves my theory. Breeding dates can not change unless prime food sources change year to year..... that does not happen.

Good luck, if you want a big mature buck...... bowhunt November 4-8th. Hunt all day! Boone and Crockett records will support my findings. Prime pre rut(breeding) are from Halloween until November 10th for most of the northern continent.

Florida, Texas and the Mississippi Delta herd are the exception

Thanks for that info. One of the best posts I've seen in a thread like this.

That gives me a better idea as to when I need to take my vacation this year. I was leaning toward the 4th through the 8th, so I'm glad to know I was on the right track.

--------------------
Willowpine Outdoors Pro Staff

Posts: 290 | From: Ellettsville | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParkerBow
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParkerBow   Author's Homepage   Email ParkerBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB is right on. The best time to arrow a mature buck is pre-rut. To me the best time to be in the woods is Oct 27th thru Nov 10th every year. They say the best all around day to hunt is Nov 7th. More mature bucks are killed on Nov 7th then any other day. Late Oct is dynamite especially if you get a good cold snap. The mature bucks are on their feet seeking after the 1st estous doe. Just talking about it gets me geeked up. I feel like makeing a scrape and rubbing on the floor lamp in the living room right now. [Smile]
Posts: 822 | From: Mt. Pleasant, In. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnc911
Member # 949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnc911   Email johnc911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 of the bucks on my wall both were killed on Nov 1
Posts: 2874 | From: Somewhere in Hancock County | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"

Posts: 2091 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daworz
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daworz   Email daworz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have My Vacation set for November 5 till the 19th, although I will be in the woods for all Day sits from The end of Oct also, I always watch the weather and See if any Big Changes in the Weather Like Temp drop, That is a Day to Be On stand and Pack a Lunch, Usally Dark to Dark. I am so Ready, other than Getting My Clothes Ready,
Posts: 830 | From: Elwood, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2014, HoosierHunting.com