Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Deer Hunting » Worst Indiana Hunting Season Since 2003 (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Worst Indiana Hunting Season Since 2003
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horn....This is the information I usually see posted this time of year!

-

--------------------
Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"

Posts: 3087 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjas
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hornharvester:
You guys still think the DNR isn't going to change the opening dates soon..........then why hasn't the DNR updated the opening dates beyond next year..??? Might be a coincidence but nothing is listed past 2018. h.h.

https://secure.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2715.htm

My understanding is that the DNR is in more of a "maintain" mode as far as the deer herd is concerned. And based on that, I can't see any major changes to the seasons happening in the very near future.
Posts: 2039 | From: Southern Indiana | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumper
Junior Hunter
Member # 78767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumper   Email Thumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in the DNR website that the firearms deer season is always scheduled for the first Saturday after Veteran's Day (Nov 11) each year. I use that information to schedule my annual trip to Southern Indiana to hunt with my Marine Corps buddy who I have known for 50 years since serving together in Vietnam. I'm one of your pesky NR hunters from New Hampshire! Hunting in Indiana is like a whitetail Nirvana compared to New England hunts.
Posts: 3 | From: Canaan, NH | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryan78
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan78   Email Bryan78   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum hunter:
I believe that some areas are more highly populated with deer than others. Around here, the farming community puts an impact on the deer because there are farmers who tend to take out deer habitat, and sometimes what I believe is too much. I have noticed a lot of habitat loss lately due to farm ground gain. BUT it's the farmers property so it's more than his right. Another big factor is the loss of predator control. The coyotes here are extremely abundant. I did not get a single fawn on trail cam all year and neither did some of my hunting friends. I did however find two dead fawns over the course of the summer who had been eaten clean by coyotes. More predator control is definitely needed and I hope that more hunters start to hunt them.

Loss of suitable habitat is always going to be the single biggest reason why deer numbers will be negatively impacted.

quote:
Just in my innocent opinion,
Why, do you have a guilty one? [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 1262 | From: Shelbyville, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Valovich
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Valovich   Email Jeff Valovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
113,293 ... with maybe another 500(?) taken in the Reduction zone season ...

--------------------
"Liberalism is a mental disorder"

Posts: 1366 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
113,293 ... with maybe another 500(?) taken in the Reduction zone season ...

133.492 Now.....as we are entering a maintenance/maintain phase of the reduction mode started in 2012 I would think we will be around this figure for a few years to come.

--------------------

Posts: 3087 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
js2397
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for js2397     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to believe that in 2003 we dreamed of a day when the state was capable of producing a consistent harvest of over 110,000.
Posts: 737 | From: Corydon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/8367.htm#deerharvest

113,525 right now. Urban zone season still open for a while.

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3146 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Valovich
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Valovich   Email Jeff Valovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last minute checkins from Sunday ... ??

--------------------
"Liberalism is a mental disorder"

Posts: 1366 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
Last minute checkins from Sunday ... ??

113,558 Now....probably is but if the Urban reduction zones are killing that many per day we might get to that 119,000 [Eek!]

--------------------

John Scifres
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
113,478 now. Oh no we are going backwards. Not only are the live deer disappearing from the field, the dead ones are disappearing from our freezers. Come to think of it, I haven't checked my meat supply in the past couple days.
Posts: 1316 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnc911
Member # 949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnc911   Email johnc911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't been on here in a while but if you don't think the opening day numbers affected the totals then you are nuts. Add a normal opening day to the totals and no one is complaining
Posts: 3002 | From: Somewhere in Hancock County | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
113,471 now....still dropping [Cool]

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3146 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pav
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sticksender:
113,471 now....still dropping [Cool]

Someone suggested the early archery numbers are up. Don't forget, early archery season was six days longer compared to a year ago....and those were six rut days.

Didn't see where anyone pointed out the late anterless firearms season (where applicable) was nearly twice as long as a year ago.

I get the opening day argument...but only to an extent. There was ALOT of firearms deer hunting opportunity remaining after opening day. I heard the day two harvest was down as well...which really makes me scratch my head.... [Confused]

--------------------
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Posts: 1436 | From: Seymour | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjas
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day one of firearms was down (as compared to last season) roughly 19,000 deer due in no small part to the statewide high winds that day. Day two of firearms was down very little (as compared to last season) by roughly 1,400 deer. Day 3-16 was up this season (as compared to last season) by roughly 8,500 deer.

Early archery was up (there was an extra 5 days this season) by roughly 5,000 deer .

Muzzleloader was also up this season by roughly 2,000 deer.

Late antlerless (with fewer counties but extra days) was up a few hundred deer.

As far as the opener of firearms season goes, we all know that day one is THE day and there was no way that deficit was going to be made up completely over the rest of the firearms season as there are many hunters who hunt only opening weekend and sat out that Saturday due to the weather.

Posts: 2039 | From: Southern Indiana | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com