Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Big Game » Western Hunts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western Hunts
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone applying for, or doing, any western hunts this year?

I'm in for a few including Wyoming Elk, and those draw results will be posted tomorrow.

A pic from my last elk hunt (Colorado). Pursued this bull for several days but unfortunately never got a shot at him. Too many eyes!

-

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3007 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
animalhouse
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 3043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animalhouse   Email animalhouse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the draws Greg. That looks like a pretty good spot in CO! 3 of us got skunked last year.

Still saving points for CO elk, but hoping to use 2nd choice to get back out there - usually 2nd rifle. Looking for a new area if anyone has any suggestions they are willing to share.

Have not started building points in any other states out west, but would like to.

--------------------
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're flying with a bunch of turkeys.

Posts: 740 | From: Hancock County | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for traditionalarcher17   Email traditionalarcher17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting in for muzzy elk in CO this year if we don't get drawn going with bows in September.
Posts: 1566 | From: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for traditionalarcher17   Email traditionalarcher17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick I would consider that the bull of a lifetime. I plan on plugging the first legal bull I see or a cow later in the trip I'm meat hunting first go round.
Posts: 1566 | From: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Any tips for a first timer fellas?
Den57
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Den57   Email Den57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot the first legal elk that you have the chance at. Depending on the area that you are hunting, waiting for something that you might not have a chance at sometimes doesn't work out to well.

--------------------
NRA Life member
IBA Life member
Colorado Bowhunter Asso. member
RMEF member

Posts: 275 | From: Franklin | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antiwheeze
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antiwheeze   Email antiwheeze   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Den57:
Shoot the first legal elk that you have the chance at. Depending on the area that you are hunting, waiting for something that you might not have a chance at sometimes doesn't work out to well.

I did and I don't regret it. My buddy with his 300 win mag set up for 300 yards shot over the back of 350 class bull at 30 yards. Said all he could see in scope was hair!
Posts: 1447 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trad, yes for sure that was a fantastic bull! Not really representative of what you might see in most of the OTC units. He was in a draw-only unit. But you really never know and a guy could get lucky anywhere.

As far as any recommendations.....If you're bowhunting, I'd recommend waiting until later in the season, like the last 2 weeks, if you want to have the best chance to hear bugling and see rut action. If you're willing to sit waterholes, then I'd go the first week. That can be a highly effective strategy, but it may not be for everyone.

I like to camp back deep in the forest, close to where I'll be hunting. There are guys who have success with road camping too. But for me I just like to be close to the elk, and far as possible from other hunters. Having said that, there are places close to roads where elk live, and are overlooked by hunters. But those may be hard to find, and in general, the deeper you go, the less chance the elk with be as pressured.

Well no luck for me today in the WY draw. Will just have to hope for luck drawing some kind of tag elsewhere!

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3007 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Well the Arizona and Wyoming draws are out and no luck on those. Time to apply for Colorado.

--------------------
--------------------

traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

I'm putting in this week also. Dropped 17 lbs already for the trip and almost have all my gear also, few small things left to get. Good luck
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

The preparation, planning and anticipation are half the fun [Big Grin]

--------------------
--------------------

traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Yeah I'm outta training for atleast a week. Got a vasectomy yesterday but I've made some good progress so I don't think a week will make that big of a difference.
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Well the western draws are winding down with no luck for me. Just a few long-shots left to watch in Montana, Oregon and Arizona. Got a couple other hunts planned, but still would love to pull a sheep tag.

--------------------
--------------------

Den57
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Den57   Email Den57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drew a Mule deer tag for Colorado 2nd rifle season in the Book Cliffs area

--------------------
NRA Life member
IBA Life member
Colorado Bowhunter Asso. member
RMEF member

Posts: 275 | From: Franklin | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com