Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Archery » Longbow help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Longbow help
bean
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bean   Email bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to traditional deer hunt years ago and decided this year to get back into it. I guess, for me, I need to simplify things. I have ordered an Omega Original at 48# and 28.5 draw length. I still have and shoot my Mamba from over 20 years ago. Man, things have changed since then. I shot easton xx75 and 125 thunderheads back then.

I guess I need some help on getting back up to date on what to shoot with the Omega. What spine arrow? Broad head? I shoot carbons through my Bowtech and have them for my Mamba but things seem more specific than the ole xx75's. I might just try those again.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

--------------------
Jude 23

--------------------
Sweat equity now = success the Fall!!

Posts: 3022 | From: Richmond (Webster) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter986
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter986   Email deerhunter986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only advice i have is wear an arm guard. Never shot a longbow that didn't slap me. Although I shot them really well I never bought one

--------------------
Huntin is not a matter of life and death, its more important than that

Posts: 1538 | From: Stilesville, IN, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
varmint101
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for varmint101   Email varmint101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just start with what you have and see if it works first unless your Martin is heavier. It depend on how the longbow is cut and even your shooting style/release. I prefer a cut on contact head like a woodsman, but I have never tried a thunderhead or a muzzy trocar on a deer. I know there are people that do though. Just depends on what you want to do. Is your trad draw 28.5? The xx75 will work just fine as long as you have the right one. Longbows usually won't require as stiff an arrow as a recurve and some bows will shoot a wide range of shafts well. Good luck on your quest! It's a lot of fun as you know.

--------------------
"The bottom line is, if you shoot something, be proud of it. If you can't be proud of it, don't shoot it. God didn't create any "justs." Neither should bowhunters." -Dwight Schuh

Posts: 2716 | From: Freetown, IN 47235 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter986
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter986   Email deerhunter986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always shot the Magnus 2 blades. My cousin shot both Muzzys and thunderheads with no problems. I really want to shoot traditional again but I my right hand ring finger has been broke multiple times and it just doesn't release all that well and makes the string kick

--------------------

Posts: 1538 | From: Stilesville, IN, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter986
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 593

As far as xx75 I always shot 2117 on a chart they were spined wrong but that's what dad and uncle always shot. Had some wood arrows that flew beautiful but I actually hit 2 deer with them and both just exploded on impact. Cheap arrows maybe a buddy bought them and told me they were a gift. Still have the buddy and the arrows

--------------------

boxbow
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boxbow   Email boxbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bean, I shoot a similar set up. I cut my arrows to 30", as far as aluminum arrows, I get real good flight out of 1916 with 125 up front and 2016 with 145 up front.

For carbons I shoot carbon express 150 cut to 30" and point weight anywhere from 150gr to 200gr.

I usually have my arrows fletched with 5" shield cut.

Lost Nation archery is a great mom and pop archery dealer in Sturgis, MI. They have a website and Larry would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck on getting a nice buck with your longbow. Traditional archery is quite addictive.

Posts: 59 | From: Wayne county | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bean   Email bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Need all the help I can get. Been away for a long time.

--------------------
Sweat equity now = success the Fall!!

Posts: 3022 | From: Richmond (Webster) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stinger
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I learn about traditional archery, the more it appeals to me.

--------------------
Deer Hunting since 1999 | Completed the 1,000 day challenge from 2012-2014. Boxing trainer, runner, lifter. I do marketing for a living and I love it.

Posts: 271 | From: NW Indiana & Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com