Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » HoosierHunting RoundTable » GANDER MOUNTAIN (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: GANDER MOUNTAIN
fullrut
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fullrut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw on facebook that Gander Mountain has removed all mounts from its store in Greenwood, not knowing if this was true I called them. The person who answered told me the following......

"An animal rights group made us remove all of our mounts"

If this is true, and I assume it is after the phonecall this is unbelaivable. I bet Basspro appreciates this.

--------------------
195 1/8, 162 4/8, 157 0/8, 154 0/8, 152 4/8, 152 1/8......
"LUCK IS CREATED by hardwork and preparation."
www.ANTLERTALK.COM
PROSTAFF FOR...Tenpoint, Hoyt, Summit, Scentlok, Wildlife Research Center, Lucky Buck, Rage, Hunter Safety System

Posts: 2280 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbwhttail
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbwhttail   Email jbwhttail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"An animal rights group made us remove all of our mounts"

Really? A group can make a legit businees do something? What I have seen is a subtle but continuous change to apperal over hunting anf fishing gear. Only bought there in an emegency as it was always overpriced. I wonder what group made them tear out thier meeting rooms in all locations....Marketing....marketing... Hunters are not thier focus.

--------------------
When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....

Posts: 7348 | From: Indpls,In US | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delaney
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for delaney   Email delaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. The sportsmen have done this to themselves though. Over time, as expected, big box stores squeezed out the mom and pop sporting good stores and then the softer side of life people have a lot of influence. I was in the Gander near Castleton a couple of weeks ago and told my wife when I got home that I was shocked by the number of yuppie, non hunting/non fishing, looking adults in there buying clothes, footwear and outdoor grilling stuff.

--------------------
"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"

Posts: 5737 | From: Indianapois, IN, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fullrut
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fullrut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well said Joe.

--------------------
195 1/8, 162 4/8, 157 0/8, 154 0/8, 152 4/8, 152 1/8......
"LUCK IS CREATED by hardwork and preparation."
www.ANTLERTALK.COM
PROSTAFF FOR...Tenpoint, Hoyt, Summit, Scentlok, Wildlife Research Center, Lucky Buck, Rage, Hunter Safety System

Posts: 2280 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bean   Email bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid!!!

--------------------
Most people buy their own food - I am not most people.

Posts: 2220 | From: Richmond (Webster) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
76chevy
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 24895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 76chevy   Email 76chevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cabelas has stayed true to it's roots and offering quality gear to hunters/fishermen/campers. They have a decent trapping supplies section (which is important to me) and by far the best selection of hunting gear and great wildlife displays.

GM has apparently decided to only sell to a certain demographic. High priced outdoor gear apparently sells well to greenwood and 86th/allisonville area consumers and it's obvious they have changed their stores to cater to this type of consumer.

That is a business decision, and I don't fault them for that. The big problem I have with them is that they caved to the AR extremists and ditched the mounts and the open meeting room

I will just spend my $ elsewhere. Like at Cabelas!

quote:
Originally posted by delaney:
....big box stores squeezed out the mom and pop sporting good stores and then the softer side of life people have a lot of influence. I was in the Gander near Castleton a couple of weeks ago and told my wife when I got home that I was shocked by the number of yuppie, non hunting/non fishing, looking adults in there buying clothes, footwear and outdoor grilling stuff.

--------------------
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 1452 | From: 2 weeks from everywhere | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maddogmech
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maddogmech   Email maddogmech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ONE MORE REASON THEY SHOULD HAVE TRIED TOO KEEP CABELAS in Greenwood !!!!!!
Posts: 796 | From: Mooresville,in.usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yaz
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaz   Email Yaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 76chevy:
[QB] Cabelas has stayed true to it's roots and offering quality gear to hunters/fishermen/campers. They have a decent trapping supplies section (which is important to me) and by far the best selection of hunting gear and great wildlife displays.

GM has apparently decided to only sell to a certain demographic. High priced outdoor gear apparently sells well to greenwood and 86th/allisonville area consumers and it's obvious they have changed their stores to cater to this type of consumer.

That is a business decision, and I don't fault them for that. The big problem I have with them is that they caved to the AR extremists and ditched the mounts and the open meeting room

I will just spend my $ elsewhere. Like at Cabelas!

[QUOTE]

YEP! And the local, privately owned sporting good stores when at all possible.

Posts: 3450 | From: Decatur County/Greensburg, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gundude
Member # 1322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gundude   Email gundude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Joe said...

I grow tired of stupidity

--------------------
Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.

Posts: 8525 | From: owen county | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIA041212
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIA041212   Email WIA041212   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just unbelievable to me. We take the animals with guns and bows, are they going to stop selling them too? It's kind of a where does it end question when a spring goods store caves to these animal rights activists that throw red dyed water balloons at old ladies wearing fur coats. This is pathetic.

--------------------
Semper Fi

Posts: 242 | From: Fishers, IN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for traditionalarcher17   Email traditionalarcher17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they are or atleast were a check station. They stop that also?
Posts: 1114 | From: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yaz
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaz   Email Yaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of EXTREME boredom tonight, I did a search on this. Looks like its not just Indiana stores.
Posts: 3450 | From: Decatur County/Greensburg, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIA041212
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIA041212   Email WIA041212   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just unbelievable to me. We take the animals with guns and bows, are they going to stop selling them too? It's kind of a where does it end question when a spring goods store caves to these animal rights activists that throw red dyed water balloons at old ladies wearing fur coats. This is pathetic.

--------------------
Semper Fi

Posts: 242 | From: Fishers, IN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traditionalarcher17
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 6017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for traditionalarcher17   Email traditionalarcher17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wanted to wear a coonskin cap to one of these rallies and depending on my mood either get em taken to jail for assault or just claim self defense and pop some jaws for them throwin stuff at me. Now that I have kids I think I'd take the assault claim but 10 years ago there woulda been punches thrown. Just think its be fun, but that's just me being an a**
Posts: 1114 | From: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bucks n Ducks
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 8961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bucks n Ducks   Email Bucks n Ducks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a Gander Mountain that i have to say I go in and purchased a couple firearms from in the past year.

I sure wish it was a Cabelas! I have always felt like Cabelas is there for the hunter unlike Gander here who has more and more street clothes every time i go in and less and less hunting clothing! Outside of a huge selection of firearms, it seems I can never find anything hunting I need. Its all generic cheap crap or very poor selection.

Too bad to hear this! I am curious if the person on the phone really knew what they were talking about in the first place. I don't recall any mounts being in Lafayette since it has opened.

Does this mean that Montana Mikes and other restaurants and stores will need to remove all their decor as well? I think our Rural King even has mounts!

--------------------
Hoyt Alphamax 32
Support Ducks Unlimited

Posts: 486 | From: 1 mile from Mackey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2014, HoosierHunting.com