Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Turkey Hunting » 2018 Spring Turkey Season Thread (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2018 Spring Turkey Season Thread
Magnum hunter
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 78654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum hunter   Email Magnum hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what sticksender said is how my season went. I had a decent amount of birds to hunt but they shut down with the decoys and calling. Nothing and I mean nothing would coax one in unless a hen decided to come check the situation out, but I only had a hen come close a couple times. I believe the number of hens walking around played a big factor too. I couldn't believe the number of hen sightings this year and I have been seeing numerous hens coming out of the woods in the mornings then going back in. They all got nests. I've concluded that those longbeards won't come in when they got the real thing right in front of them lol.

--------------------
"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."

Posts: 980 | From: Randolph County | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magnum hunter
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 78654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum hunter   Email Magnum hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you guys think the birds were acting this way this season?

--------------------
"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."

Posts: 980 | From: Randolph County | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Valovich
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Valovich   Email Jeff Valovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, pressure on the state areas can be one reason, 'cause thats all I have to hunt ... idiots pre-calling prior to the season opening dosnt help .... birds seemed call and decoy shy ... also, the Toms teamed up with hens, and once they do that, it is very very tough to get them away from... and like I said earlier, with the hunts stopping at noon on the F&W areas, there is no way to coax a Tom in once the hens nest up in late morning/early afternoon.... plus, the weather could have played into it as it stayed so cold longer .... all are just guesses ....

--------------------
"Liberalism is a mental disorder"

Posts: 1372 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum hunter:
Why do you guys think the birds were acting this way this season?

Weather, cold start to spring .... if the season had been two weeks earlier as some hope you would be hunting in the snow up north!

--------------------
Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"

Posts: 3095 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only workable strategy we found was watching them at different times of the day from a distance and then adjusting our ambush spots until we ended up being close enough to their travel lanes to get a shot. The gobblers would sometimes go out of their way to avoid the decoys. So we ended up setting out low-key, hen-only decoys, placed well off to the side of their expected routes, so that the decoys would only really be serving as a calming/confidence effect.

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3159 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DEC
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEC   Email DEC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The season was a mess all through the mid-west. I am usually not one to blame poor hunting on the weather as I am a firm believer that animals have to live in the weather and generally don't care. But I think this spring (if you can even call it that) was so extreme that it had things messed up pretty bad. I really expect the hatch this year to be pretty weak at best.

I talk to a lot of turkey hunters across the nation and guys through the midwest really struggled. Some of the best turkey hunters that I have had the privilege of getting to know were struggling in hot bed states like Kansas and Missouri even. The combination of cold, wind, snow, and rain ... nearly every day really killed the season. There were very few warm sunny days this year and the birds just holed up.

Personally, I had a great season. 5 bow birds and I was beside 3 other hunters when they killed birds (1 bow, 1 crossbow, and 1 gun). All of these birds decoyed well and responded to calls. But I also realize that being in the right place at the right time often is the difference between a great hunt and a bust. In all reality, I did not see many birds this year though like in years past. Besides one day in Kansas, I saw/heard very few birds this year.

--------------------
Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!

Posts: 1299 | From: Angola | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com