Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Turkey Hunting » 5 Birds in 3 Days - Epic Beat Down - All archery head shots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 Birds in 3 Days - Epic Beat Down - All archery head shots
DEC
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEC   Email DEC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would share the beat down from earlier last week. I made my annual trip to hunt Kansas with my buddy Matt and then went up to Nebraska for some hunting on a new property that I found. Needless to day it was a crazy three days of hunting with five birds put down in three days of hunting. I left Nebraska early due to storms rolling in or a sixth bird would have been put down.

I put one bird down on Monday right out of the gate, as we pulled a pair of toms from over 500 yards away off of a big group of hens. They saw that White Face Strutter from DSD from 500+ yards and it was game over. They ran almost the entire way to my setup. I tried to double with one shot, but ended up with just one bird who had severe beard rot, but 1 3/8" sharp spurs.

I put a second bird down on Tuesday mid morning, after missing a chip shot at him earlier. There were just too many eyes. At one point we had 40+ hens and 5 toms all in an area from 3 yards to 30 yards in front of us. Kansas is just nuts. I finally got a nice shot at him at 20 yards in full strut and dropped him in his tracks. Matt put down his bird a couple hours later on a crazy walking away shot, after he had missed a chip shot at the same bird just minutes before.

On Wednesday morning, I made my way to northern Nebraska on the Missouri River. I had to run into South Dakota for lunch and gas then return to the the state. Less than 3 hours after returning to Nebraska I doubled on a pair of nice toms. These toms showed up about 90 minutes into my first sit and strutted/gobbled at 300 yards out for about 30 minutes. Then all of the sudden they dropped out of strut and ran to the new DSD Motion Mating Pair setup. At 7 yards I dropped the first and then immediately followed up and shot his buddy at 8 yards. All done with a few hours left for pictures and to enjoy a few cold ones watching the sun set.

If you are into vids ... here are the two states of hunts. Multiple camera angles and head chops! I am already looking forward to 2019!

KANSAS VIDEO CLICK BELOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C2lp6KotjM&t=46s

NEBRASKA VIDEO CLICK BELOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CryhRDV7p94

-

-

-

--------------------
Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!

Posts: 1283 | From: Angola | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magnum hunter
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 78654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum hunter   Email Magnum hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelievable! Good for you!

--------------------
"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."

Posts: 961 | From: Randolph County | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Valovich
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Valovich   Email Jeff Valovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats ... where the heck do you find the time .... I have to save my vacations for deer season ..

--------------------
"Liberalism is a mental disorder"

Posts: 1352 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...great trip, congrats!!!

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3131 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DEC
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEC   Email DEC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
congrats ... where the heck do you find the time .... I have to save my vacations for deer season ..

Been blessed my entire career no matter where I have worked (including when I owned my own business) to never really have any vacation restrictions. I take pretty much as much time as I want off, to be honest. That and a very understanding wife helps.

--------------------
Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!

Posts: 1283 | From: Angola | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pics as always....congrats.

--------------------
Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"

Posts: 3083 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hornharvester
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 13622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hornharvester   Email hornharvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well made videos. I enjoyed watching them. h.h.

--------------------
If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.

Posts: 1981 | From: N.E. Indiana, Spitting distance from the Wabash River. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nickgsp2
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickgsp2   Email nickgsp2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome very cool congrats
Posts: 1313 | From: east cent. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarlett Dew
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 7984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bammmmmmmm!!!

He's at it again.... [Cool]

--------------------
Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"

Posts: 1825 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maddogmech
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maddogmech   Email maddogmech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on some great hunts DEC ! Great pics as always !
Posts: 1173 | From: Mooresville,in.usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com