Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Pond & Lake Management » Small ponds.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Small ponds.
familytradition
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 48688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for familytradition   Email familytradition   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two quarter acre ponds on my new farm. They seem to be about 6 feet deep and are spring fed. What would be the best fishery to establish. The traditional large mouth, blue gill, and catfish in ponds of this size does not seem like would produce much fish. Any experiences with hybrid bluegill and white bass?
Posts: 201 | From: Tipton County | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Double B
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double B   Email Double B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hybrids are a blast to catch and won't over run your small ponds. Add some bass and channels along with some fathead minnows for forage. I doubt the white bass would make it. Maybe you could go aquaculture and raise prawns or tilapia, that might be a possibility if you could readily harvest them.

--------------------
Followed by Buzzards

Posts: 1065 | From: Right where I belong | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THROBAK
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 5905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THROBAK   Email THROBAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far north as you are Frogs And salamanders fish would probably freeze out
Posts: 1520 | From: se indiana | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
familytradition
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 48688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for familytradition   Email familytradition   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in Orange County.
Posts: 201 | From: Tipton County | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbwhttail
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbwhttail   Email jbwhttail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What fish are in them now? What I would do is get some bluegill and a few bass. 5-1 gills and what ever you do is stay away from crappie. A couple of albino catfish "2" in each pond will help clean up crap. Just remember as those albino grow they will eat your spring spawn quickly.

I have a half dozen of the albinos in a 3 acre pond and last year we caught one that was OVER 48" and he/she was less than 10 years old.......needs to eat alot.

Use IDNR as a resource as they are very good at helping people with ponds.

Finally........ you need to fertilize a pond like a food plot........the fish are eating plant life from the pond. Best thing I do is put lime on the pond!

--------------------
When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....

Posts: 7576 | From: Indpls,In US | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
familytradition
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 48688

Bluegill and large mouth, but the bass seem stunted.
76chevy
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 24895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 76chevy   Email 76chevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fishmgt.pdf

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3356.htm

Posts: 2611 | From: 2 weeks from everywhere | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
familytradition
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 48688

Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to add forage fish and maybe some hybrid bluegill. The bass and bluegill are small: 10 in bass and barely hand sized bluegill. I think they need more food choices. We do have a large snapping turtle that needs turned into soup and some large bullfrogs too.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com