Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Upland Game » Squirrels (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Squirrels
deerhunter986
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter986   Email deerhunter986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too hot for me this weekend probably go next weekend and finish the micro plots

--------------------
Huntin is not a matter of life and death, its more important than that

Posts: 1537 | From: Stilesville, IN, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Valovich
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Valovich   Email Jeff Valovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont care much for the heat and squirrels, they move very early, then shut down.... I like many will take the cool days.... I used to do good in the afternoons, 2:30ish to around 6 ish ... esp, on hickorys, but where I go, there isnt a hick on the place, and very few walnut trees, mostly all oak .. plus, I get to sleep in...it sucks having to get up at 3:30am just for squirrels then make the drive ;0( ....I dont mind it for deer

--------------------
"Liberalism is a mental disorder"

Posts: 1273 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabbit_hunter
Junior Hunter
Member # 78734

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rabbit_hunter   Email rabbit_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So whats the best time to go out and go squirrel hunting in the morning or evening. would like to get out soon if I get some time

--------------------
Every mistake I have ever made in the woods I have learned from and i get better.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rabbit_hunter in my experience, from just after first light and then continuing for a couple hours, is usually their most active time "cutting". It is usually the coolest temps of the day for hunting as well. But evenings can be good too.

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3049 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabbit_hunter
Junior Hunter
Member # 78734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabbit_hunter   Email rabbit_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sticksender thanks ill have to get out soon and see if i cant get some before deer season gets here so i dont have to put up with them.

--------------------
Every mistake I have ever made in the woods I have learned from and i get better.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hornharvester
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 13622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hornharvester   Email hornharvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When deer hunting red squirrels are a pest for sure but keep an eye on the grey and fox squirrels. They will tell you if deer or varmints are around. When you hear them raising cane watch in that direction and usually something appears. h.h.

--------------------
If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.

Posts: 1945 | From: N.E. Indiana, Spitting distance from the Wabash River. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabbit_hunter
Junior Hunter
Member # 78734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabbit_hunter   Email rabbit_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay thanks for the info hornharvester

--------------------

trapperDave
Traditional/Primitive Archer
Member # 512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trapperDave   Email trapperDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 so far with the Ruger

[Qqqqqqe=https://postimg.org/image/sa6z3dbfz/]  - [/url]

--------------------
Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping

Posts: 7828 | From: Hancock Co. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hornharvester
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 13622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hornharvester   Email hornharvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice shooting td. handgun hunting is twice as hard. i dont have a .22 handgun that could be used for hunting and thats a shame because everyone should own at least 1. h.h.

--------------------
If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.

Posts: 1945 | From: N.E. Indiana, Spitting distance from the Wabash River. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter986
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter986   Email deerhunter986   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to have a ruger single six to try it out. Only took one Sunday on the first trip. Didn't hear many cuttin and with a noisy 5 year old it gets tough. With the ones I did see a shotgun would have been worth carrying

--------------------
Huntin is not a matter of life and death, its more important than that

Posts: 1537 | From: Stilesville, IN, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabbit_hunter
Junior Hunter
Member # 78734

last night i finally got time to go hunting.Even though it was raining I still got a big fox squrriel with the .22cal.

--------------------

varmint101
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for varmint101   Email varmint101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, what sight do you have on the Ruger? I have a cheap bsa red dot and well, it's a cheap bsa red dot and doesn't hold zero well anymore. Of course I am getting shakier these days. I've taken I think 12 grays so far. Haven't used the 22 yet. Usually wait until they're on the ground.

--------------------
"The bottom line is, if you shoot something, be proud of it. If you can't be proud of it, don't shoot it. God didn't create any "justs." Neither should bowhunters." -Dwight Schuh

Posts: 2716 | From: Freetown, IN 47235 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com