Welcome Visitors - Join Today - It's Free
Hoosier Hunting Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hoosier Hunting » Trapping » 2018 bobcat proposed rules

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2018 bobcat proposed rules
jbwhttail
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbwhttail   Email jbwhttail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At a FWCC. Meeting last night we were informed the bobcat hunting and trapping rules (dates) have been preliminary adopted and posted for comments. The proposed dates are November 8th 2018 thru January 31st 2019. Each hunter or trapper has a bag limit of ONE until an established county quota is reached.

My question to trappers and hunters are as following.

1. Coyote trapping starts earlier October 15th, would it not be better if bobcat trapping started on the same date as coyote? As proposed trappers would have to release any bobcat caught in traps prior to November 8th. Coyote and bobcats ets are the same, why would we educate and give a sore paw? I propose we start trapping of coyote and bobcats to start on October 15th.

2. Hunting bobcats would be during firearm deer season. This would mean several bobcats could/ would be taken with large caliber rifles,muzzleloader and shotgun slugs on an "opportunity" basis. The prior mentioned loads would destroy the pelts of a beautiful game animal. I would propose a split season for bobcats, trapping as the first season per above. Then we could have a hunting season from January 1-31.

There are not many trappers left and with a limit of one per person I doubt a county limit would fill prior to January 1st. A January hunting season would give sportsmen a new critter and a different experience with this species including game calling.

What says you guys? And please comment on the rule on IDNR comment page.

--------------------
When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....

Posts: 7589 | From: Indpls,In US | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksender
Administrator
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksender   Email sticksender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Agree with the earlier Oct 15 trapping start date.

2. Agree also on the hunting season being a different time than deer season.

--------------------
--------------------

Posts: 3103 | From: Terre Haute | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes have two seasons Trapping first then a Hunting last.

Anyone know how it's done in neighboring states?

--------------------
Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"

Posts: 3061 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Double B
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double B   Email Double B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least fur should be prime by 11/8, maybe that was the logic. I'm glad to see a season on them.

--------------------
Followed by Buzzards

Posts: 1099 | From: Right where I belong | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParkerBow
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParkerBow   Author's Homepage   Email ParkerBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if we would meet half way and open Coyote and bobcat season on Nov 1st. This would allow the pelts to be more prime then an Oct 15th start. I normally don't start trapping until after deer gun season anyway. I think it is silly too that the fox trapping and hunting seasons are different. Trapping fox is Oct 15th to Jan 31 and hunting fox is Oct 15th to Feb 28th. They need to be the same.
Posts: 921 | From: Mt. Pleasant, In. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrobertson
Junior Hunter
Member # 58501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrobertson   Email scrobertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParkerBow:
What if we would meet half way and open Coyote and bobcat season on Nov 1st. This would allow the pelts to be more prime then an Oct 15th start. I normally don't start trapping until after deer gun season anyway. I think it is silly too that the fox trapping and hunting seasons are different. Trapping fox is Oct 15th to Jan 31 and hunting fox is Oct 15th to Feb 28th. They need to be the same.

I agree completely. Why not make all furbearer seasons, whether trapping or hunting, start the same time? As previously stated most furs are not prime in October.

Is this state wide every county? Or is it broken up like the otter season? If any knows...

Posts: 16 | From: Lafayette | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hornharvester
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 13622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hornharvester   Email hornharvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since coon hunters tree/see more bobcats than any other group of hunters/trappers I imagine the Nov 8 opening season date is to coincide with the coon season opener. h.h.

--------------------
If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.

Posts: 1969 | From: N.E. Indiana, Spitting distance from the Wabash River. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BREW...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes have the season different Trapping first then hunting last.I would think trappers would want a later date for Bobcats and coyote trapping season so the Fur would be more prime.

From what I hear Bobcat season will only be in a few selct counties in the southern part of state.Thus more reason to have Bobcats and coyote trapping season starting the same time in these counties.

--------------------

Posts: 3061 | From: PlainField, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 2424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bean   Email bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there was a proposed bobcat season for my county I would vote for a later trapping season than October 15. Fine for coyotes if you like them blue. Most experienced trappers I am reading are wanting a later season as well. The fur would be better later.

--------------------
Coon - 26
Coyote - 4
Possums- 9
Beaver- 0
Muskrat- 0
Mink - 0

Posts: 3041 | From: Richmond (Webster) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BREW...
Hoosier Hunter
Member # 1967

Make you opinions known to the DNR and NRC by giving comments at - www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | www.HoosierHunting.com

copyright 2017, HoosierHunting.com